From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seamonkey, Linux and bank websites.
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 10:34:09
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday 24 March 2007 06:03, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> I'm hoping someone can explain this to me and maybe even offer a
7 >> workaround. This may only apply to us U.S. folks. Banks and credit
8 >> card company are in the process of changing the way you log into a
9 >> website. It "registers" your computer when you sign up as a security
10 >> "feature". Problem is, this doesn't work with Linux and I suspect it
11 >> doesn't work on a Mac either. I'm not sure, nor can I find out, what it
12 >> uses to "register" my computer. It may be a CPU serial number or
13 >> something like that.
16 > Nah, I don't think they are that sophisticated. Your link seems to work fine
17 > in Opera and Firefox, but does not work in Konqueror. I am talking about
18 > accepting all cookies here, because it is cookies and IP address that they
19 > use to identify your computer.
22 >> I also don't know if this is Linux or the web browser, I use Seamonkey.
23 >> I plan to test a theory at my brothers that uses winders XP and
24 >> Seamonkey to see if it works up there.
27 > I think that it may have something to do with the way you have configured your
28 > cookies. Invariably they need you to accept 'referrer logging' and third
29 > party cookies. This is because they most often than not use a different
30 > server to log who the users are.
33 >> Any ideas?? Am I cooked?
36 > I don't think that you are cooked, but it seems that you will need to change
37 > your cookie policy on the browser in question.
38 >
39 > PS. The more stupid of the banks also discriminate against anything other than
40 > MSIE. This can in most cases be bypassed by setting your browser to be
41 > identified as IE (it returns the appropriate headers to the server once you
42 > set it up to do so).
45 OK. This is a start in the right direction. I checked on my cookie
46 settings and here is what I have it set too in Seamonkey. Under "Cookie
47 Acceptance Policy" I have it set to "Allow All Cookies" which is as
48 allowable a policy as it has. Under "Cookie Retention Policy" I have it
49 set to "Accept Cookies Normally" which is the most allowable policy it
50 has. So you may could say I have it set to the least secure and wide
51 open setting there is. Keep in mind that all other sites store my login
52 information just fine. It is just this Passmark crap that doesn't work.
53
54 Any ideas on what I can change here?
55
56 Thanks.