From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HTPC and Gentoo
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 07:51:04
1 On 02/12/2012 12:53 AM, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > So I've got Inara in position to be my HTPC box. Tried installing
3 > MythTV, but I can't make heads or tails of how to have it do the
4 > things I'd like it to do:
5 >
6 > * Play DVDs inserted into the DVD drive
7
8 I don't use many DVD but I think it works for me. There's a
9 configuration item to 'scan for DVD insertion' or something. If it
10 doesn't start automatically it should be possible to use 'Optical disk'
11 -> 'Play DVD'.
12
13 > * Hit streaming websites like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Youtube,
14 > etc.
15
16 You need media-plugins/mythnetvision for that. I haven't tried it myself
17 because it needs multilib and I'm no-multilib.
18
19 > * Play video and audio files I already have.
20
21 Other than configuring the directories holding the files there wasn't
22 much I needed to do to play local audio/video files. Have you checked
23 the mythtv wiki [1]? For video you can use mythtv's Internal (capital
24 'I' is mandatory in the config) or any other. I've been using mplayer
25 for years but in mythtv 0.25 Internal is quite good and better
26 integrated than mplayer (and it's able to play almost everything).
27
28 > * Launch games like StepMania and/or Frets on Fire.
29
30 I had media-plugins/mythgame working with Xmame. Now that Xmame is out
31 of tree I dropped it because I wasn't using it anymore. I am not at all
32 familiar with the two games you mention so I cannot help here.
33
34 I've used the in-tree mythtv for years but lately it wasn't being
35 updated [2][3] so I switched to the overlay [4] and been happily running
36 0.25 with that.
37
38 [1] http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Video_Library
39 [2]
40 http://rich0gentoo.wordpress.com/2011/06/18/whats-up-with-mythtv-on-gentoo/#more-120
41 [3]
42 http://rich0gentoo.wordpress.com/2011/12/14/another-mythtv-update/#more-138
43 [4] I don't remember which, I have to check. Probably the one mentioned
44 in Rich0' blog.