From: Mike Kazantsev <mike_kazantsev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nfs over (lvm over nbd) ?
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 09:04:20
1 On Wed, 13 May 2009 01:58:18 +0200
2 Raph <gibboris@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Of course, and so sadly, there is not a penny...
5 > In order to make a network where any user can access
6 > his datas whatever the computer he uses, I'm thinking about
7 > the following kind of configuration :
8 > - Each client (one of the 20 computers) runs a MBD daemon
9 > which shares its HD to the server (the 21st) over the
10 > ethernet.
11 > - The "server" handle the 3.2TB in a volume group and
12 > create the logical volumes with LVM
13 > - The "server" also run a NFS daemon
14 > - Then each client can grab it's data through NFS.
15 > - happiness ... ?
16 > ------
17 > I never did such a setup but already see a couple of
18 > problems :
19 > - each client need some private HD space to, at least,
20 > boot enough to let the NBD daemon start.
21 > - $10 question : if 20 users login, will the ethernet
22 > be fast enough to support the load ?
23
24 While I've never had any chance to try distributed fs outside the
25 sandbox, it looks like a best solution in your case, providing both
26 speed and data redundancy.
27
28 Specifically, I mean AFS (there's a bit outdated guide on gentoo-wiki),
29 lustre and several other less-known projects like tahoe or pohmelfs.
30
31 http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe
32 http://tservice.net.ru/~s0mbre/old/?section=projects&item=pohmelfs
35 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net