From: Raph <gibboris@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] nfs over (lvm over nbd) ?
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 23:57:57
1 Hello,
2 I'm currently trying to setup a network with
3 a storageless server.
4 There are 20 computers (2x1.6 Ghz, 1GB RAM, 160GB sata)
5 and 1 more (outside the room) with the same hardware
6 (so no real "server"). The whole is connected
7 with 10/100 ethernet.
8 Of course, and so sadly, there is not a penny...
9 In order to make a network where any user can access
10 his datas whatever the computer he uses, I'm thinking about
11 the following kind of configuration :
12 - Each client (one of the 20 computers) runs a MBD daemon
13 which shares its HD to the server (the 21st) over the
14 ethernet.
15 - The "server" handle the 3.2TB in a volume group and
16 create the logical volumes with LVM
17 - The "server" also run a NFS daemon
18 - Then each client can grab it's data through NFS.
19 - happiness ... ?
20 ------
21 I never did such a setup but already see a couple of
22 problems :
23 - each client need some private HD space to, at least,
24 boot enough to let the NBD daemon start.
25 - $10 question : if 20 users login, will the ethernet
26 be fast enough to support the load ?
27 ------
28 I though about a more manual way (rsync at login/logout)
29 but it implies versionning and above all distribution and
30 mirroring, ... so appears less reliable at first look.
31 Also I can't imagine a way to abstract the storage with lvm
32 with a distributed syncing at log{in,out}.
33
34 I would greatly appreciate any ideas, critics, ...
35
36 Raph
37
38 PS-1) Not a penny means that it's already a pain to afford
39 a 30€, 24 ports switch (the 20 computers were given last year)
40 So the N.10³ "sata bays" are nothing else than dreams, here.
41
42 PS-2) I already saw some subjects outside the specific
43 gentoo scope on this list but if this one really makes
44 no sense here, please just kindly precise it so I will
45 conceal forever :)