From: Philipp Riegger <lists@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nfs over (lvm over nbd) ?
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 12:39:59
1 On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 01:58 +0200, Raph wrote:
2 > There are 20 computers (2x1.6 Ghz, 1GB RAM, 160GB sata)
3 > and 1 more (outside the room) with the same hardware
4 > (so no real "server"). The whole is connected
5 > with 10/100 ethernet.
6
7 This sounds quite ok. The question is, what will you use the systems
8 for? Because if you do no video, sound or picture editing on a larger
9 scale, not movie or music sharing, then you don't need that much
10 storage.
11
12 > - Each client (one of the 20 computers) runs a MBD daemon
13 > which shares its HD to the server (the 21st) over the
14 > ethernet.
15 > - The "server" handle the 3.2TB in a volume group and
16 > create the logical volumes with LVM
17 > - The "server" also run a NFS daemon
18 > - Then each client can grab it's data through NFS.
19 > - happiness ... ?
20
21 I'd say no. The setup sounds very very complicated and error-prone.
22 Before doing this I'd get rid of 1-3 Workstations and put those 1-3
23 harddisks in the Server to have more storage.
24
25 > - each client need some private HD space to, at least,
26 > boot enough to let the NBD daemon start.
27
28 A Gentoo installation is usually between 10 and 20 GB for me, I think.
29 You can also boot over ethernet.
30
31 > - $10 question : if 20 users login, will the ethernet
32 > be fast enough to support the load ?
33
34 Most liekly yes. Maybe it's a little slower, but it will work.
37 Here is what I'd do:
38
39 1) Make normal Gentoo installations on the Workstations. You can most
40 likely install 1 machine, put the image on the server and copy it
41 everywhere from there. IP and hostname can be managed by DHCP.
42
43 2) Use a NFS shared directory for portage tree and binpackages (for
44 updating, installing new software).
45
46 3) Install the Server. I would recommend using a softraid and therefore
47 taking the disk from 1-3 Workstations. Then you have 160-320 GB disk
48 space (RAID1 with 2, RAID5 with 3, RAID6 with 4 disks). For a Server 10
49 GB for / are enough, make it a little bigger, add some space for the
50 portage tree and the binpackages, and you have 120-280 GB for /home,
51 which is really a lot.
52
53 This shoulc all be a quite stable setup. Now, if you really need much
54 more disk space, you can do the nbd/nfs approach (or do it completely
55 distributed with a Cluster Filesystem and Cluster LVM, but that might be
56 more work).
57
58 Often people need some local disk space and only need it for 1
59 "session", therefore mount a big partition somewhere (/tmp maybe) and
60 run tmpwatch regularly. Maybe create a script that automatically
61 creates /tmp/home/$user for all available accounts. Maybe symlink it
62 to /home/$user/tmp or something.
63
64 Philipp