From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nfs over (lvm over nbd) ?
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 06:08:05
1 On Wed, 13 May 2009 01:58:18 +0200, Raph wrote:
2
3 > I never did such a setup but already see a couple of
4 > problems :
5 > - each client need some private HD space to, at least,
6 > boot enough to let the NBD daemon start.
7
8 That's not a problem. Install the OS as usual and mount /home over the
9 network.
10
11 > - $10 question : if 20 users login, will the ethernet
12 > be fast enough to support the load ?
13
14 That depends on how fast the network is and what the users are doing.
15
16 A bigger question is what happens if one computer goes down? I suspect
17 your whole LVM could fail. This seem s an unnecessarily complex approach.
18 What's wrong with creating each user's home directory on one computer and
19 exporting it to the others over NFS? If each user has a preferred
20 workstation, this will also reduce network usage.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel...
27 but it was just some sod with a torch bringing me more work!