From: Raph <gibboris@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nfs over (lvm over nbd) ?
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 12:16:20
1 Hi,
2 Neil wrote :
3 > What's wrong with creating each user's home directory on one computer and
4 > exporting it to the others over NFS? If each user has a preferred
5 > workstation, this will also reduce network usage.
6
7 If I understand you well, each "client" /etc/exports would be :
8 /home/user0 server.domain(rw)
9 ...
10 /home/user378 server.domain(rw)
11 All the directories have not only to exists but not to be empty
12 has it would conflict with the others clients serving the "already used"
13 versions (says for exemple pc14.domain which contains /home/user33/foo.bar)
14
15 Then in each "client" /etc/fstab I would put :
16 server:/home/user0 /home/user0 defaults 0 0
17 ...
18 server:/home/user378 /home/user378 defaults 0 0
19
20 In this case of course I don't rely on a storage server, but I don't know
21 if nfs v4, v4.1 brings some stuff to "assure the up-to-date status of
22 the exported directory on the first requested server".
23
24 To Mike :
25 That's interesting, about pohmelfs it seems promising but under
26 heavy development but I'm even not brave enough to use tahoe.
27 I will problably look around openAFS (I was considering it as a
28 potential solution) and/or lustre.
29
30 [innocence]
31 IMHO, what really missed me was a brick easily integratable
32 with rsync and lvm (a brick to pipe with in a /etc/profile or so :)
33 which do versionning (how to get an up-to-date directory) and distributed
34 logical volume management (but lvm means direct access to blocks devices
35 and implies nbd ...)
36 [/innocence]
37 Anyway, thank you for your adivses.
38