From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Instant reboot at grub stage 1.5
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 08:42:06
1 On Friday 22 September 2006 03:21, fire-eyes wrote:
2 > Hello, I'm stumped here, so i'm open for suggestions.
3 >
4 > My system refuses to boot fully. What happens is it powers on, and i see
5 > a very quick flash that says something along the lines of "Loading Grub
6 > Stage 1.5", and then a reboot. This just continues in a loop.
7 >
8 > In the past few days, I was upgrading glibc to 2.4 and also to gcc
9 > 4.1.1. I was using the GCC upgrade guide. Everything went well until it
10 > was time to reboot. I did do an emerge -e world.
11 >
12 > I remerged grub, and used the grub console to reinstall. I have checked
13 > my grub.conf, it looks fine. It also does not have any trailing garbage
14 > (suggestion from others).
15 >
16 > I also recompiled and reinstalled my kernel, making sure it was compiled
17 > with gcc 4.1.1.
18 >
19 > Many times i got back in via chroot, and tried to reinstall grub, but to
20 > no avail. It sees the disks, it sees the partitions, it sees the
21 > filesystems.
22 >
23 > So I am not sure what to do next. I flung about 4 hours of time at this
24 > with no change.
25 >
26 > Any ideas?
27
28 Does this help?
29
30 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/grub-error-guide.xml
31
32 Alternatively, please post the usual info: fdisk -l, grub.conf, df -h and
33 we'll take it from there.
34 --
35 Regards,
36 Mick