From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pppconfig can't find internal modem.
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 13:15:26
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 16 May 2007 12:15, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 09:19:13AM +0100, Mick wrote
7 >>> On Sunday 13 May 2007 21:18, waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>> My ADSL connection had a short outage yesterday. I discovered, to my
10 >>>> consternation, that my machine's internal modem wasn't being picked up.
11 >>>>
12 >>> Was this working before then - e.g. since the last time you compiled your
13 >>> kernel?
14 >>>
15 >>> In any case you would probably want to (r)emerge the driver for this
16 >>> modem.
17 >>>
18 >> It's *NOT* a "winmodem". It's a bog-standard PCI modem that has
19 >> worked in the past under linux without requiring special drivers. The
20 >> only tweak it requires is allocating more than 4 serial ports in the
21 >> kernel, which I've done.
24 > Apologies! I have not come across a real internal modem so far and I readily
25 > assumed that it was a softmodem. I thought that the "more than 4 ports"
26 > setting was required for softmodems not real modems.
29 Usually PCI modems start at ttyS5 or higher. I had a real ISA modem
30 once but have not seen one since. I had to get a external serial to
31 make SURE I was getting a REAL modem. They do exist though.
32
33 Wish I new what to do to get it working though.
34
35 Dale
36
40 www.myspace.com/-remove-me-dalek1967
41
42 Copy n paste then remove the -remove-me- part.