From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pppconfig can't find internal modem.
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 12:00:40
1 On Wednesday 16 May 2007 12:15, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 09:19:13AM +0100, Mick wrote
3 >
4 > > On Sunday 13 May 2007 21:18, waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
5 > > > My ADSL connection had a short outage yesterday. I discovered, to my
6 > > > consternation, that my machine's internal modem wasn't being picked up.
7 > >
8 > > Was this working before then - e.g. since the last time you compiled your
9 > > kernel?
10 > >
11 > > In any case you would probably want to (r)emerge the driver for this
12 > > modem.
13 >
14 > It's *NOT* a "winmodem". It's a bog-standard PCI modem that has
15 > worked in the past under linux without requiring special drivers. The
16 > only tweak it requires is allocating more than 4 serial ports in the
17 > kernel, which I've done.
18
19 Apologies! I have not come across a real internal modem so far and I readily
20 assumed that it was a softmodem. I thought that the "more than 4 ports"
21 setting was required for softmodems not real modems.
22 --
23 Regards,
24 Mick