From: Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: minimal installation CD iso is where?, &&
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 21:04:19
1 Am 06.08.2015 um 22:01 schrieb Rich Freeman:
2 > You're defining "really systemd-free" in the same sense that the FSF
3 > defines a "really free" distro (they think Debian FOSS-only isn't good
4 > enough). Sticking with the base profile should get you an experience
5 > about the same as what you'd have gotten 4 years ago before anybody
6 > heard of systemd, and going as far as you suggestion may cause
7 > problems if you use software that has been subsequently merged into
8 > systemd, but which is still available standalone (think udev/etc).
9 >
10 > But, to each their own, that is the Gentoo way. Just don't file any
11 > bugs if something breaks purely as a result of doing the steps above.
12
13 You're totally wrong.
14
15 USE="-systemd" tells portage not to build and install optional systemd
16 features, dependencies etc. Ebuilds that need systemd as a hard
17 dependency like GNOME are not affected by this.
18
19 The INSTALL_MASK just tells portage to not install systemd related files
20 which are not necessary and not used on none-systemd systems like those
21 unit files or whatever they are called which are unfortunately installed
22 by several ebuilds along with the OpenRC init scripts.
23
24 So, yes, I will file any bugs if something breaks, because systemd is
25 supposed to be optional on Gentoo.
26
27 And, no, I won't install any package which is merged into systemd. As
28 you mentioned udev, what do you need udev for if you don't use systemd?
29 Just install eudev. Works perfectly without any systemd dependency.
30
31 And, yes, I don't like systemd - in fact I hate it - because it's just
32 broken by design. But discussing with Poettering and his fanboys is
33 pointless since they aren't able to take criticism. There are a lot of
34 other reasons, too.
35
36 And I really don't want to have any part of this Poetterix crap like
37 systemd, pulseaudio etc. on my system. So I take it as a compliment when
38 you compare my definition of "really systemd-free" with the FSF's
39 definition of a "really free" distro.