From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: minimal installation CD iso is where?, &&
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 22:10:33
1 On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 5:03 PM, Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > And, no, I won't install any package which is merged into systemd. As
4 > you mentioned udev, what do you need udev for if you don't use systemd?
5 > Just install eudev. Works perfectly without any systemd dependency.
8 Like I said - if you want to go this route be prepared to tweak half
9 your system to keep it working. Replacing udev with eudev is
10 certainly possible, but probably not something I'd recommend for
11 somebody trying out Gentoo for the first time. Most of the eudev
12 developers would probably not recommend setting install masks and
13 setting USE=-systemd either.
14
15 And you're using udev all the same - there isn't much that was in udev
16 before the systemd merge which isn't in eudev today. It seems a bit
17 odd to object to a package on the sole basis of what source repository
18 its maintainers are using. But, whatever floats your boat.
19
20 > So, yes, I will file any bugs if something breaks, because systemd is
21 > supposed to be optional on Gentoo.
22
23 If a package declares a dependency against a package that installs
24 something in /usr/lib/systemd, and it breaks because you masked that
25 directory, then your bug is probably going to be marked invalid. But,
26 if you enjoy making work for the bug wranglers I guess you can do your
27 part to ensure that the position remains understaffed.
28
29 I'm not talking about incorrect dependencies not aligned with
30 upstream/etc. Those are often valid bugs, as are bugs asking for
31 fixes to openrc scripts or systemd units even though openrc and
32 systemd are optional on Gentoo. Maintainers aren't required to commit
33 openrc scripts or systemd units, but they're certainly encouraged to
34 do so when somebody provides them for an init system they use (or
35 runit, or upstart, or whatever).
36
37 (Fun piece of Gentoo trivia. Most Gentoo-derived systems don't run
38 either openrc or systemd - they run upstart, despite it not even being
39 in the main Gentoo repository. Go figure...)
42 Rich