From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Trying to configure Radeon card
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 09:08:42
1 On 2010-10-16 04:24, Jeff Cranmer wrote:
2 > OK, so let's have a go at the ATI drivers again.
3 >
4 > First, get rid of the open source ati drivers
5 > emerge --unmerge -av radeon-ucode xf86-video-ati
6
7 Why? Unless you have problems with space I'd keep it because eventually
8 there will be support for your chipset (right now it's in "alpha" or
9 maybe "beta" phase).
10 http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODUzMQ
11
12 You don't need to unmerge the open source ati drivers, it can peacefully
13 coexist with the proprietary drivers. Just don't use it until they've
14 gone stable.
15
16 > Editing the /etc/make.conf file to change the last line to
17 > VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx"
18
19 I have: VIDEO_CARDS="radeon fglrx vesa" with fglrx working fine.
20
21 > then running emerge -NDuav system changes the mesa driver so that I have
22 > no valid selections for "VIDEO_CARDS=", so I'll unmerge mesa
23 >
24 > emerge --unmerge -av mesa
25
26 xorg-server depends on mesa unless you run USE=minimal.
27
28 > running emerge -NDuav world identified the xorg-drivers and pm-utils
29 > packages that have changed, and attempts to re-emerge mesa, so I'll
30 > unmerge those two
31 >
32 > emerge --unmerge -av xorg-drivers pm-utils
33
34 Don't have pm-utils installed so can't tell anything about them but if
35 you're relying on powermanagement (laptop?) then maybe you should keep it?
36
37 > run aticonfig --initial to create an xorg.conf file.
38
39 Where did you place your xorg.conf file? It should be located in
40 /etc/X11/xorg.conf. If I remember correctly, the aticonfig tool creates
41 an xorg.conf in your working directory and you have to move it to /etc/X11/.
42
43 > Hmm - the xorg.log file has this error.
44 > atiddxDriScreenInit failed, GPS not been initialized.
45
46 Do you have dri enabled? I.e. is there an dri module available?
47
48 HTH
49
50 Best regards