From: Jeff Cranmer <jeff@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Trying to configure Radeon card
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 02:25:28
1 OK, so let's have a go at the ATI drivers again.
2
3 First, get rid of the open source ati drivers
4 emerge --unmerge -av radeon-ucode xf86-video-ati
5
6 Editing the /etc/make.conf file to change the last line to
7 VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx"
8 then running emerge -NDuav system changes the mesa driver so that I have
9 no valid selections for "VIDEO_CARDS=", so I'll unmerge mesa
10
11 emerge --unmerge -av mesa
12
13 running emerge -NDuav world identified the xorg-drivers and pm-utils
14 packages that have changed, and attempts to re-emerge mesa, so I'll
15 unmerge those two
16
17 emerge --unmerge -av xorg-drivers pm-utils
18
19 moving on to the kernel, I verify that I have the correct kernel
20 parameters:
21
22 Device drivers ->
23 Graphics Support ->
24 <*> dev/agpgart (AGP support)
25
26 None of the other modules below the agpgart appear to be appropriate, so
27 I'll not enable any of these.
28
29 Disable the direct rendering manager and framebuffer support, so this
30 should take care of the radeon driver module. I'll do a locate search
31 for this before I reboot.
32
33 > Device Drivers ->
34 > Generic Driver Options ->
35 > < > Userspace firmware loading support
36 > [ ] Include in-kernel firmware blobs in kernel binary
37
38 Recompile the kernel and update using grub.
39
40 emerge ati-drivers
41
42 It seems this was still present from the previous attempt, so I'll
43 re-emerge it.
44
45 Running emerge -NDuav system still pulls in mesa, so back in it goes.
46 Running emerge -NDuav world pulls back in xorg-drivers and pm-utils, so
47 these are also reinstalled.
48
49 emerge --depclean pulls out a few packages,
50 radeontool
51 gst-plugins-v4l
52 gst-plugins-v4l2
53 gentoo-sources-2.6.34-r6
54
55 since gentoo-sources-2.6.34-r6 is the kernel I'm presently operating
56 with, I'll re-emerge that and verify that it is still current via
57 eselect kernel list.
58
59 revdep-rebuild doesn't add anything else.
60
61 Prevent boot-up into X-windows, then reboot.
62
63 rc-update del xdm default
64 reboot
65
66 run aticonfig --initial to create an xorg.conf file.
67
68 startx
69
70 total system crash - hard reset required to reboot.
71
72 Hmm - the xorg.log file has this error.
73 atiddxDriScreenInit failed, GPS not been initialized.
74
75 Can anyone shed light on this?
76
77 Thanks