From: Jeff Cranmer <jeff@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Trying to configure Radeon card
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 02:50:29
1 On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 22:24 -0400, Jeff Cranmer wrote:
2 > OK, so let's have a go at the ATI drivers again.
3 >
4 > First, get rid of the open source ati drivers
5 > emerge --unmerge -av radeon-ucode xf86-video-ati
6 >
7 > Editing the /etc/make.conf file to change the last line to
8 > VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx"
9 > then running emerge -NDuav system changes the mesa driver so that I have
10 > no valid selections for "VIDEO_CARDS=", so I'll unmerge mesa
11 >
12 > emerge --unmerge -av mesa
13 >
14 > running emerge -NDuav world identified the xorg-drivers and pm-utils
15 > packages that have changed, and attempts to re-emerge mesa, so I'll
16 > unmerge those two
17 >
18 > emerge --unmerge -av xorg-drivers pm-utils
19 >
20 > moving on to the kernel, I verify that I have the correct kernel
21 > parameters:
22 >
23 > Device drivers ->
24 > Graphics Support ->
25 > <*> dev/agpgart (AGP support)
26 >
27 > None of the other modules below the agpgart appear to be appropriate, so
28 > I'll not enable any of these.
29 >
30 > Disable the direct rendering manager and framebuffer support, so this
31 > should take care of the radeon driver module. I'll do a locate search
32 > for this before I reboot.
33 >
34 > > Device Drivers ->
35 > > Generic Driver Options ->
36 > > < > Userspace firmware loading support
37 > > [ ] Include in-kernel firmware blobs in kernel binary
38 >
39 > Recompile the kernel and update using grub.
40 >
41 > emerge ati-drivers
42 >
43 > It seems this was still present from the previous attempt, so I'll
44 > re-emerge it.
45 >
46 > Running emerge -NDuav system still pulls in mesa, so back in it goes.
47 > Running emerge -NDuav world pulls back in xorg-drivers and pm-utils, so
48 > these are also reinstalled.
49 >
50 > emerge --depclean pulls out a few packages,
51 > radeontool
52 > gst-plugins-v4l
53 > gst-plugins-v4l2
54 > gentoo-sources-2.6.34-r6
55 >
56 > since gentoo-sources-2.6.34-r6 is the kernel I'm presently operating
57 > with, I'll re-emerge that and verify that it is still current via
58 > eselect kernel list.
59 >
60 > revdep-rebuild doesn't add anything else.
61 >
62 > Prevent boot-up into X-windows, then reboot.
63 >
64 > rc-update del xdm default
65 > reboot
66 >
67 > run aticonfig --initial to create an xorg.conf file.
68 >
69 > startx
70 >
71 > total system crash - hard reset required to reboot.
72 >
73 > Hmm - the xorg.log file has this error.
74 > atiddxDriScreenInit failed, GPS not been initialized.
75 >
76 > Can anyone shed light on this?
77 >
78 > Thanks
79 >
80 > Jeff
81
82 Oops - forgot to eselect opengl set ati
83
84 Now it's still failing, but a different set of errors, as attached.
85
86 Any suggestions gratefully received.

Xorg.0.log text/x-log