From: Paul Hoy <paul.hoy@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo or Linux from Scratch - Perspectives?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 01:32:12
1 On Aug 14, 2005, at 7:26 PM, Joe Menola wrote:
2
3 > On Sunday August 14 2005 5:43 pm, Paul Hoy wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Aug 14, 2005, at 5:05 PM, Joe Menola wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> On Sunday August 14 2005 2:42 pm, Paul Hoy wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>> Linux from Scratch looks very interesting: it appears to rapidly
10 >>>> support
11 >>>> the latest updates and it has decent documentation. Does any one
12 >>>> have any
13 >>>> perspectives on Linux from Scratch, from a Gentoo point-of-view?
14 >>>> Does
15 >>>> anyone wish to share a comparison of the two?
16 >>>>
17 >>>
18 >>> I've built both Gentoo and LFS. A side by side comparison comes up
19 >>> pretty much
20 >>> equal. Except for documentation, where Gentoo wins hands down. IMO
21 >>>
22 >>> google>"gentoo"=3,990,000 hits
23 >>> google>"lfs"=877,000 hits
24 >>>
25 >>> -jm
26 >>>
30 >> Hi Joe,
31 >>
32 >> What about the LFS community - did you find it helpful?
33 >>
34 >> Of course, the answer is probably objective. Developer types may not
35 >> have to rely so much on community whereas those who have the great
36 >> capacity to take forever to understand the point, like myself,
37 >> require a good community.
38 >>
39 >> Also, I agree with you that the Gentoo documentation (most of it) is
40 >> excellent; I've printed, and have read most of it.
41 >>
42 >> One more question, and it's the most obvious. You said that Gentoo
43 >> and LFS are more or less equal. So, that begs the question: what
44 >> persuaded you to stick with Gentoo?
45 >>
46 >> Thanks ,
47 >> Paul
50 > The LFs community was very helpful, I couldn't have built a working
51 > system
52 > without them. :)
53 > I just find it easier when Goggle finds other documented problems
54 > that match
55 > mine. The size of the Gentoo user base makes this much more likely
56 > with
57 > Gentoo vs LFS.
58 > To answer the obvious...Gentoo is easier to build then LFS. LFS's
59 > style of
60 > package by package installing is great for learning the workings of
61 > Linux,
62 > and I wouldn't trade-in my experience with LFS for anything.
63
64 Yes, that's what attracted me to Gentoo and to LFS/BLFS also: I'm
65 interested in learning the inner workings of Linux. I've hacked
66 around with Linux since the very early days of Redhat, but I still
67 don't have a comprehensive understanding of the OS. This is despite
68 that fact that I usually used tarballs rather than RPMs, even in
69 Redhat and Fedora.
70
71 > But starting from scratch with LFS and obtaining a working Kde
72 > desktop took me (from
73 > memory) a few weeks to build. With Gentoo, I was there in a few
74 > days thanks
75 > to "emerge kde-meta".
78 Yeah, there were even some pre-compiled Linux distros in which it
79 took a long time to get a Gnome desktop (vlos and foresight linux,
80 for instance). Like you, it took me a few days to get a working Gnome
81 desktop with Gentoo.
82
83 > -jm
84 > --
85 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
90 Thanks, Joe. This is the kind of conversation I was looking for.
91 --
92 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list