From: Joe Menola <menola@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo or Linux from Scratch - Perspectives?
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 23:31:45
1 On Sunday August 14 2005 5:43 pm, Paul Hoy wrote:
2 > On Aug 14, 2005, at 5:05 PM, Joe Menola wrote:
3 > > On Sunday August 14 2005 2:42 pm, Paul Hoy wrote:
4 > >> Linux from Scratch looks very interesting: it appears to rapidly
5 > >> support
6 > >> the latest updates and it has decent documentation. Does any one
7 > >> have any
8 > >> perspectives on Linux from Scratch, from a Gentoo point-of-view? Does
9 > >> anyone wish to share a comparison of the two?
10 > >
11 > > I've built both Gentoo and LFS. A side by side comparison comes up
12 > > pretty much
13 > > equal. Except for documentation, where Gentoo wins hands down. IMO
14 > >
15 > > google>"gentoo"=3,990,000 hits
16 > > google>"lfs"=877,000 hits
17 > >
18 > > -jm
21 > Hi Joe,
22 >
23 > What about the LFS community - did you find it helpful?
24 >
25 > Of course, the answer is probably objective. Developer types may not
26 > have to rely so much on community whereas those who have the great
27 > capacity to take forever to understand the point, like myself,
28 > require a good community.
29 >
30 > Also, I agree with you that the Gentoo documentation (most of it) is
31 > excellent; I've printed, and have read most of it.
32 >
33 > One more question, and it's the most obvious. You said that Gentoo
34 > and LFS are more or less equal. So, that begs the question: what
35 > persuaded you to stick with Gentoo?
36 >
37 > Thanks ,
38 > Paul
39
40 The LFs community was very helpful, I couldn't have built a working system
41 without them. :)
42 I just find it easier when Goggle finds other documented problems that match
43 mine. The size of the Gentoo user base makes this much more likely with
44 Gentoo vs LFS.
45 To answer the obvious...Gentoo is easier to build then LFS. LFS's style of
46 package by package installing is great for learning the workings of Linux,
47 and I wouldn't trade-in my experience with LFS for anything. But starting
48 from scratch with LFS and obtaining a working Kde desktop took me (from
49 memory) a few weeks to build. With Gentoo, I was there in a few days thanks
50 to "emerge kde-meta".
51
52 -jm
53 --