From: Paul Hoy <paul.hoy@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo or Linux from Scratch - Perspectives?
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:53:56
1 On Aug 14, 2005, at 5:05 PM, Joe Menola wrote:
2
3 > On Sunday August 14 2005 2:42 pm, Paul Hoy wrote:
4 >
5 >> Linux from Scratch looks very interesting: it appears to rapidly
6 >> support
7 >> the latest updates and it has decent documentation. Does any one
8 >> have any
9 >> perspectives on Linux from Scratch, from a Gentoo point-of-view? Does
10 >> anyone wish to share a comparison of the two?
13 > I've built both Gentoo and LFS. A side by side comparison comes up
14 > pretty much
15 > equal. Except for documentation, where Gentoo wins hands down. IMO
16 >
17 > google>"gentoo"=3,990,000 hits
18 > google>"lfs"=877,000 hits
19 >
20 > -jm
26 > --
27 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
31 Hi Joe,
32
33 What about the LFS community - did you find it helpful?
34
35 Of course, the answer is probably objective. Developer types may not
36 have to rely so much on community whereas those who have the great
37 capacity to take forever to understand the point, like myself,
38 require a good community.
39
40 Also, I agree with you that the Gentoo documentation (most of it) is
41 excellent; I've printed, and have read most of it.
42
43 One more question, and it's the most obvious. You said that Gentoo
44 and LFS are more or less equal. So, that begs the question: what
45 persuaded you to stick with Gentoo?
46
47 Thanks ,
48 Paul