From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to use SR-IOV on a LSI RAID controller
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2018 23:55:15
1 On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 4:14 PM, Taiidan@×××.com <Taiidan@×××.com> wrote:
2 > On 03/07/2018 09:02 PM, R0b0t1 wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 7:52 PM, Taiidan@×××.com <Taiidan@×××.com> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> I bought a LSI-9211-8i / SAS 2008 controller which reports support for
7 >>> SR-IOV in lspci and I am wondering how I can use it.
8 >>>
9 >>> There is no info on the internet about this not even for their newer
10 >>> controllers where there is a lot of advertising about SR-IOV.
11 >>>
12 >>> The idea is that you can assign a RAID array, individual hard drive, etc
14 >>> a VF which is then assigned to a VM via IOMMU providing better almost
15 >>> native
16 >>> performance vs emulated disks.
17 >>>
18 >>> Thanks!
19 >>
20 >> If it supports SR-IOV you can pass it to a guest with VFIO. If it did
21 >> not support SR-IOV it would not support VFIO.
22 >
23 > I know - my question is how do I create the virtual functions and assign the
24 > drives to them instead of simply attaching the entire controller?
25 >
26 > According to LSI's press release you could have for instance 5 different
27 > RAID's assigned to 5 different VM's via virtual functions - not simply all
28 > of them assign to one VM via assigning the controller like a non SR-IOV
29 > device
32 https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
33 https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/PCI_passthrough
34 https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/vfio.txt
35
36 The one sticking point is that you need to figure out the layout of
37 your PCIe lanes to share multiple devices without conflicts.
38
39 Cheers,
40 R0b0t1