From: Erik Mackdanz <erikmack@×××××.com>
To: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia and optimus
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 13:13:20
1 "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
2
3 > On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 05:46:30 PM Erik Mackdanz wrote:
4 >> Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de> writes:
5 >> > I don't know if, but I don't think that, it will work with
6 >> > x11-drivers/xf86-video-nouveau.
7 >>
8 >> I used bumblebee for quite a while. It worked okay, but every upgrade I
9 >> would have to fiddle with it again.
10 >>
11 >> I switched to the Nouveau driver and I'm very glad I did. "Conventional
12 >> wisdom" says Nouveau quality is lower than Nvidia, but I found it worked
13 >> better on some things (Second Life).
14 >>
15 >> As someone else pointed out, with Nouveau the GPU remains on all the
16 >> time consuming power. This is the downside.
17 >>
18 >> If ease-of-use and/or open licensing are more important to you than top
19 >> rendering quality and power consumption, consider using Nouveau.
20 >
21 > I've been using bumblebee for over a year now. (First laptop with Optimus) and
22 > not had any issues. It always works as advertised.
23 >
24 > What issues did you experience?
25 >
26 I remember more than once changing bumblebee.conf during an upgrade,
27 when the service failed to start. This is over two years ago now, so I
28 don't remember any more than that.
29
30 You could tell me that bumblebee is now stable and rock-solid, but I
31 still wouldn't switch from Nouveau. I've had a good experience, and
32 open source matters to me.
33
34 On top of that, this laptop has only a year or so left before I replace
35 it, and I know now to avoid Optimus entirely in the future.
36
37 > --
38 > Joost
42 Erik Mackdanz