From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia and optimus
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 06:35:27
1 On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 05:46:30 PM Erik Mackdanz wrote:
2 > Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de> writes:
3 > > I don't know if, but I don't think that, it will work with
4 > > x11-drivers/xf86-video-nouveau.
5 >
6 > I used bumblebee for quite a while. It worked okay, but every upgrade I
7 > would have to fiddle with it again.
8 >
9 > I switched to the Nouveau driver and I'm very glad I did. "Conventional
10 > wisdom" says Nouveau quality is lower than Nvidia, but I found it worked
11 > better on some things (Second Life).
12 >
13 > As someone else pointed out, with Nouveau the GPU remains on all the
14 > time consuming power. This is the downside.
15 >
16 > If ease-of-use and/or open licensing are more important to you than top
17 > rendering quality and power consumption, consider using Nouveau.
18
19 I've been using bumblebee for over a year now. (First laptop with Optimus) and
20 not had any issues. It always works as advertised.
21
22 What issues did you experience?
25 Joost