From: Erik Mackdanz <erikmack@×××××.com>
To: Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de>, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia and optimus
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 23:42:57
1 Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de> writes:
2
3 > I don't know if, but I don't think that, it will work with
4 > x11-drivers/xf86-video-nouveau.
5
6 I used bumblebee for quite a while. It worked okay, but every upgrade I
7 would have to fiddle with it again.
8
9 I switched to the Nouveau driver and I'm very glad I did. "Conventional
10 wisdom" says Nouveau quality is lower than Nvidia, but I found it worked
11 better on some things (Second Life).
12
13 As someone else pointed out, with Nouveau the GPU remains on all the
14 time consuming power. This is the downside.
15
16 If ease-of-use and/or open licensing are more important to you than top
17 rendering quality and power consumption, consider using Nouveau.
20 Erik Mackdanz