From: Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia and optimus
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 21:40:17
1 Am 16.12.2014 um 12:55 schrieb behrouz khosravi:
2
3 > I have not tried the bumblebee.
4
5 You need bumblebee. Otherwise it's not possible to use the Nvidia
6 Optimus chip.
7
8 > I just waned to use optimus without that, but it seem the it is not easy!
9
10 It's not possible, because the Nvidia Optimus chip isn't a full featured
11 graphics card, and doesn't write directly to the screen. Joost already
12 explained it pretty well.
13
14 The 2D graphics is done by the GPU embedded in the CPU, which also
15 writes the output to the screen. The Nvidia Optimus chip is only a
16 helper chip to do the additional 3D rendering. It gives its output to
17 the GPU embedded in the CPU which in turn writes the output to the screen.
18
19 To use the Nvidia Optimus chip you need to install these packages:
20
21 x11-misc/bumblebee
22 x11-misc/virtualgl
23 sys-power/bbswitch
24 x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
25
26 I don't know if, but I don't think that, it will work with
27 x11-drivers/xf86-video-nouveau.
28
29 Then you need to add bumblebee and vgl to your default runlevel.
30
31 rc-update add bumblebee
32 rc-update add vgl
33
34 To run a 3D application you need to start it with `optirun <command>`.
35
36 And don't try to `eselect opengl set nvidia`. This won't work for the
37 described reasons. You need to `eselect opengl set xorg-x11`.
38
39 > I think I will try that sometime
40
41 It's actually quite easy and the Nvidia Optimus support by bumblebee is
42 pretty good.
43
44 The reason why this is done this way is power saving. 3D rendering is
45 pretty power-consuming.
46
47 Heiko