From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recommendation for a router/WAP
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 13:56:46
1 On Thu, Feb 02 2012, Gregory Shearman wrote:
2
3 > In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On 02/02/2012, at 11:02, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> I am asking for a recommendation of a router/wap. I know the
8 >>> wired/wireless tradeoffs.
9 >>>
10 >>> thanks, allan
11 >>>
12 >>
13 >> Sorry, read it as wired or wireless.
14 >>
15 >> Check out the buffalo routers -I have a G300NH which while it has a
16 >> few early reports of bad wifi, it's been faultless for me. After a
17 >> couple of months I changed the custom ddwrt firmware for real ddwrt
18 >> (basically because I could!) and it's always been problem free.
19 >>
20 >> My limited experience with 1G has been mixed - usually don't notice
21 >> much of a difference though its occasionally wow! - mostly cisco
22 >> devices though.
23 >
24 > I can second the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH. I run it with Openwrt rather
25 > than ddwrt and I find it runs flawlessly, though I only run it with a
26 > few wireless laptops and a wired server. Everthing works as it should. I
27 > love the ease of configuration that is provided by Openwrt, plus the
28 > flexibility of having IPV6 available.
29
30 This sounds good. Thanks to all responders. One question. I found the
31 buffalo manual online. I don't see how I can assign fixed IP addresses
32 on its 192.168.11.x network. That is I want the LAN connection to my
33 laptop ajglap to be 192.168.11.70, the wifi connection to that machine
34 be .71. Similarly for oldlap I want to use .73 and .74, for my two
35 printers .50 and .55 (both are LAN), etc
36
37 My current linksys (wrt54G) with the open source "tomato" firmware does
38 this. Is there firmware for the buffalo that does it as well?
39
40 thanks,
41 allan