From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Console serial terminal/console with command history?
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 21:24:08
1 On 2018-05-22, Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On 05/22/2018 02:39 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> Just to be pedantic, ckermit isn't a terminal emulator. It's a serial
4 >> comm package that will connect a serial port to whatever terminal/tty
5 >> you used to run the ckermit command. It's also a file transfer protocol,
6 >> but that's pretty much irrelevant for this thread.
7 >
8 > Duly noted. I suspect that minicom, cu, and putty-link (?) also qualify
9 > the same way.
10
11 Yes for cu and (I think) plink. IIRC, minicom actually _is_ a
12 terminal emulator. It emulates an ANSI/VT100 terminal inside whatever
13 text-mode terminal you run it from.
14
15 > Conversely, XTerm, Gnome-Term, PuTTY, Datastorm ProComm, Vandyke
16 > (Secure)CRT, and Hummingbird Host Explorer are all true terminal
17 > emulators as they are GUI applications that display text.
18
19 There are also text-mode terminal emulators. You can run screen or
20 minicom from any terminal supported by your system's termcap/terminfo
21 library, but whatever is connected to screen/minicom thinks it is
22 talking to an ANSI terminal.
23
24 >> I use ckermit every day, but have never tried to wrap it with either
25 >> of the aforementioned readline utilities (the things I connect to have
26 >> their own command line history/editing facilities).
27 >
28 > Interesting. Can I ask more about what your use case is?
29
30 Connecting urxvt instances to physical serial ports which are
31 connected to physical serial ports on various embedded systems where
32 I'm developing and testing firmware.
35 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! The PILLSBURY DOUGHBOY
36 at is CRYING for an END to
37 gmail.com BURT REYNOLDS movies!!