From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Console serial terminal/console with command history?
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 21:10:11
1 On 05/22/2018 02:39 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > Just to be pedantic, ckermit isn't a terminal emulator. It's a serial
3 > comm package that will connect a serial port to whatever terminal/tty
4 > you used to run the ckermit command. It's also a file transfer protocol,
5 > but that's pretty much irrelevant for this thread.
6
7 Duly noted. I suspect that minicom, cu, and putty-link (?) also qualify
8 the same way.
9
10 Conversely, XTerm, Gnome-Term, PuTTY, Datastorm ProComm, Vandyke
11 (Secure)CRT, and Hummingbird Host Explorer are all true terminal
12 emulators as they are GUI applications that display text.
13
14 > I use ckermit every day, but have never tried to wrap it with either
15 > of the aforementioned readline utilities (the things I connect to have
16 > their own command line history/editing facilities).
17
18 Interesting. Can I ask more about what your use case is?
23 Grant. . . .
24 unix || die