From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which filesystem is more suitable for /var/tmp/portage?
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 09:55:29
1 On 18/09/2013 16:09, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 18/09/2013 16:05, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >> On Wednesday 18 Sep 2013 14:52:30 Ralf Ramsauer wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> In my opinion, reiser is a bit outdated ...
6 >>
7 >> What is the significance of its date? I use reiserfs on my Atom box for /var,
8 >> /var/cache/squid and /usr/portage, and on my workstation for /usr/portage and
9 >> /home/prh/.VirtualBox. It's never given me any trouble at all.
12 > Sooner or later, reiser is going to bitrot. The ReiserFS code itself
13 > will not change, but everything around it and what it plugs into will
14 > change. When that happens (not if - when), there is no-one to fix the
15 > bug and you will find yourself up the creek sans paddle
16 >
17 > An FS is not like a widget set, you can't really live with and
18 > workaround any defects that develop. When an FS needs patching, it needs
19 > patching, no ifs and buts. Reiser may nominally have a maintainer but in
20 > real terms there is effectively no-one
21 >
22 > Circumstances have caused ReiserFS to become a high-risk scenario and
23 > even though it might perform faultlessly right now, continued use should
24 > be evaluated in terms of that very real risk.
25
26 Another problem with ReiserFS is its intrinsic dependency on the BKL
27 (big kernel lock). Aside from hampering scalability, it necessitated
28 compromise when the time came to eliminate the BKL:
29
30 https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=8ebc423
31
32 Note the performance loss introduced by the patch; whether that was
33 addressed I do not know.
34
35 In my view, ReiserFS is only useful for saving space through tail
36 packing. Unfortunately, tail packing makes it slower still (an issue
37 that was supposed to be resolved for good in Reiser4).
38
39 In general, I would recommend ext4 or xfs as the go-to filesystems these
40 days.
41
42 --Kerin