From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which filesystem is more suitable for /var/tmp/portage?
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 12:49:21
1 On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On 18/09/2013 16:09, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 18/09/2013 16:05, Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> On Wednesday 18 Sep 2013 14:52:30 Ralf Ramsauer wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> In my opinion, reiser is a bit outdated ...
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>> What is the significance of its date? I use reiserfs on my Atom box for
12 >>> /var,
13 >>> /var/cache/squid and /usr/portage, and on my workstation for /usr/portage
14 >>> and
15 >>> /home/prh/.VirtualBox. It's never given me any trouble at all.
19 >> Sooner or later, reiser is going to bitrot. The ReiserFS code itself
20 >> will not change, but everything around it and what it plugs into will
21 >> change. When that happens (not if - when), there is no-one to fix the
22 >> bug and you will find yourself up the creek sans paddle
23 >>
24 >> An FS is not like a widget set, you can't really live with and
25 >> workaround any defects that develop. When an FS needs patching, it needs
26 >> patching, no ifs and buts. Reiser may nominally have a maintainer but in
27 >> real terms there is effectively no-one
28 >>
29 >> Circumstances have caused ReiserFS to become a high-risk scenario and
30 >> even though it might perform faultlessly right now, continued use should
31 >> be evaluated in terms of that very real risk.
34 > Another problem with ReiserFS is its intrinsic dependency on the BKL (big
35 > kernel lock). Aside from hampering scalability, it necessitated compromise
36 > when the time came to eliminate the BKL:
37 >
38 > https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=8ebc423
39 >
40 > Note the performance loss introduced by the patch; whether that was
41 > addressed I do not know.
42 >
43 > In my view, ReiserFS is only useful for saving space through tail packing.
44 > Unfortunately, tail packing makes it slower still (an issue that was
45 > supposed to be resolved for good in Reiser4).
46 >
47 > In general, I would recommend ext4 or xfs as the go-to filesystems these
48 > days.
49 >
50 > --Kerin
53 XFS is honestly looking mighty good if your host has 8 cores or more:
54
55 http://lwn.net/Articles/476263/
56
57 If data corruption is *totally* not acceptable, and if you have more
58 than one disks of similar sizes, ZFS might even be more suitable.
59
60 Rgds,
61 --
62 FdS Pandu E Poluan