From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird Screen-Overlay problems after update
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 14:35:42
1 On 14/04/2014 15:50, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 05:20:12AM +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote
3 >
4 >> was updated and I installed Linux 3.12.17 (vanilla) and recompiled
5 >> the nvidia-drivers and finally the X11-modules, a really annoying
6 >> thing happened:
7 >>
8 >> When a program uses the screen overlay technique (right word???) to
9 >> display (mainly) videos (me-tv, flashplayer, Blender while rendering)
10 >> ANY and everything on any desktop, which has a black background (mutt,
11 >> urxvt to only name a few) displays the video even the video
12 >> application runs on a different desktop.
13 >>
14 >> Handling the desktops then becomes a masterpieces of focus and
15 >> counting.... ;)
16 >>
17 >> I am using openbox, nvidia-drivers, linux 3.12.17 vanilla, me-tv,
18 >> flashplayer, blender (daily build taken from blenders buildbot).
19 >>
20 >> What can I do to get rid of this effect?
21 >
22 > This seems to be a common problem with nvidia video cards using the
23 > nvidia binary blobs. I ran into it some time ago. If you don't want to
24 > get rid of the nvidia card, try the Nouveau open-source drivers. You
25 > won't get all the acceleration that the Nvidia binaries provide, but at
26 > least you probably won't get the problems you have now.
29 +1 to this
30
31 The nvidia blobs do work well as long as you use them the way they were
32 intended to be used.
33
34 The way they were intended to be used is the same way Windows uses them,
35 the Linux and Windows drivers share the bulk of the internal code and
36 Linux feature set most definitely is not the driving force here :-)
37
38 Which means some awesome things the X server can do simply do not work
39 with the blob. The blob also rips out most of the OpenGL and framebuffer
40 code and replaces it with it's own mysterious black magic, this can add
41 more wrinkles.
42
43 And finally, the Nvidia blob is not at all integrated with the kernel in
44 any meaningful way, so your running kernel usually ends up 2-4 versions
45 behind current.
49 Alan McKinnon
50 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com