From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which linux RAID setup to choose?
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 18:30:33
1 On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 10:56 AM Caveman Al Toraboran <
2 toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > On Sunday, May 3, 2020 1:23 PM, Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
5 wrote:
6 >
7 > > For anything above raid 1, MAKE SURE your drives support SCT/ERC. For
8 > > example, Seagate Barracudas are very popular desktop drives, but I guess
9 > > maybe HALF of the emails asking for help recovering an array on the raid
10 > > list involve them dying ...
11 > >
12 > > (I've got two :-( but my new system - when I get it running - has
13 > > ironwolves instead.)
14 >
15 > that's very scary.
16 >
17 > just to double check: are those help emails about
18 > linux's software RAID? or is it about hardware
19 > RAIDs?
20 >
21 > the reason i ask about software vs. hardware, is
22 > because of this wiki article [1] which seems to
23 > suggest that mdadm handles error recovery by
24 > waiting for up to 30 seconds (set in
25 > /sys/block/sd*/device/timeout) after which the
26 > device is reset.
27 >
28 > am i missing something? to me it seems that [1]
29 > seems to suggest that linux software raid has a
30 > reliable way to handle the issue? since i guess
31 > all disks support resetting well?
32 >
33 > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_recovery_control#Software_RAID
36 When doing Linux RAID, hardware or software, make sure you get a RAID aware
37 drive that supports TLER (Time Limited Error Recovery) or whatever the
38 vendor that makes your drive calls it. Typically this is set at about 7
39 seconds guaranteeing that no mater what's going on the drive will respond
40 to the upper layers (mdadm) to let it know it's alive. A non-RAID drive
41 with no TLER feature will respond when it's ready and typically if that's
42 longer than 30 seconds then the RAID subsystem kicks the drive and you have
43 to re-add it. While there's nothing 'technically' wrong with the storage
44 when the RAID rebuilds you eventually hit another on of these >30 second
45 waits and another drive gets kicked and you're dead.
46
47 I've used the WD Reds and WD Golds (no not sold) and never had any problem.
48
49 Build a RAID with a WD Green and you're in for trouble. ;-)))
50
51 HTH,
52 Mark