From: Caveman Al Toraboran <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which linux RAID setup to choose?
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 17:55:48
1 On Sunday, May 3, 2020 1:23 PM, Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > For anything above raid 1, MAKE SURE your drives support SCT/ERC. For
4 > example, Seagate Barracudas are very popular desktop drives, but I guess
5 > maybe HALF of the emails asking for help recovering an array on the raid
6 > list involve them dying ...
7 >
8 > (I've got two :-( but my new system - when I get it running - has
9 > ironwolves instead.)
10
11 that's very scary.
12
13 just to double check: are those help emails about
14 linux's software RAID? or is it about hardware
15 RAIDs?
16
17 the reason i ask about software vs. hardware, is
18 because of this wiki article [1] which seems to
19 suggest that mdadm handles error recovery by
20 waiting for up to 30 seconds (set in
21 /sys/block/sd*/device/timeout) after which the
22 device is reset.
23
24 am i missing something? to me it seems that [1]
25 seems to suggest that linux software raid has a
26 reliable way to handle the issue? since i guess
27 all disks support resetting well?
28
29 [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_recovery_control#Software_RAID