From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which linux RAID setup to choose?
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 21:22:44
1 On 03/05/2020 18:55, Caveman Al Toraboran wrote:
2 > On Sunday, May 3, 2020 1:23 PM, Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 >> For anything above raid 1, MAKE SURE your drives support SCT/ERC. For
5 >> example, Seagate Barracudas are very popular desktop drives, but I guess
6 >> maybe HALF of the emails asking for help recovering an array on the raid
7 >> list involve them dying ...
8 >>
9 >> (I've got two :-( but my new system - when I get it running - has
10 >> ironwolves instead.)
11 >
12 > that's very scary.
13 >
14 > just to double check: are those help emails about
15 > linux's software RAID? or is it about hardware
16 > RAIDs?
17
18 They are about linux software raid. Hardware raid won't be any better.
19 >
20 > the reason i ask about software vs. hardware, is
21 > because of this wiki article [1] which seems to
22 > suggest that mdadm handles error recovery by
23 > waiting for up to 30 seconds (set in
24 > /sys/block/sd*/device/timeout) after which the
25 > device is reset.
26
27 Which if your drive does not support SCT/ERC then goes *badly* wrong.
28 >
29 > am i missing something?
30
31 Yes ...
32
33 > to me it seems that [1]
34 > seems to suggest that linux software raid has a
35 > reliable way to handle the issue?
36
37 Well, if the paragraph below were true, it would.
38
39 > since i guess all disks support resetting well?
40
41 That's the point. THEY DON'T! That's why you need SCT/ERC ...
42 >
43 > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_recovery_control#Software_RAID
44 >
45 https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Choosing_your_hardware,_and_what_is_a_device%3F#Desktop_and_Enterprise_drives