From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which linux RAID setup to choose?
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 18:05:06
1 Caveman Al Toraboran wrote:
2 > On Sunday, May 3, 2020 1:23 PM, Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 >> For anything above raid 1, MAKE SURE your drives support SCT/ERC. For
5 >> example, Seagate Barracudas are very popular desktop drives, but I guess
6 >> maybe HALF of the emails asking for help recovering an array on the raid
7 >> list involve them dying ...
8 >>
9 >> (I've got two :-( but my new system - when I get it running - has
10 >> ironwolves instead.)
11 > that's very scary.
12 >
13 > just to double check: are those help emails about
14 > linux's software RAID? or is it about hardware
15 > RAIDs?
16 >
17 > the reason i ask about software vs. hardware, is
18 > because of this wiki article [1] which seems to
19 > suggest that mdadm handles error recovery by
20 > waiting for up to 30 seconds (set in
21 > /sys/block/sd*/device/timeout) after which the
22 > device is reset.
23 >
24 > am i missing something? to me it seems that [1]
25 > seems to suggest that linux software raid has a
26 > reliable way to handle the issue? since i guess
27 > all disks support resetting well?
28 >
29 > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_recovery_control#Software_RAID
35 I'd like to add something about the PMR/SMR thing.  I bought a SMR drive
36 without knowing it.  Now when I search for a hard drive, I add NAS to
37 the search string.  That seems to weed out the SMR type drives.  Once I
38 find a exact model, I google it up to confirm.  So far, that little
39 trick has worked pretty well.  It may be something you want to consider
40 using as well.  NAS drives tend to be more robust it seems.  Given you
41 are using RAID, you likely want a more robust and dependable drive, if
42 drives can be put into that category nowadays.  :/
43
44 Hope that helps.
45
46 Dale