From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can I use containers?
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 04:42:03
1 On 5/18/19 7:04 PM, Wols Lists wrote:
2 > Not that I do it (it would be a bit of a learning experience :-)
3 > but this is where using ldap for user management would score ...
4
5 Centralized ID administration is nice. I've dabbled with the following:
6
7 · Manual UID & GID management
8 · Copying passwd/shadow & group/gshadow files (bad idea, would
9 recommend against)
10 · LDAP
11 · NIS(+)
12 · AD via Samba
13
14 There are some other options too. Hesiod and something else uses DNS as
15 the central directory.
16
17 I recently used LDAP + Kerberos + NFS and was quite happy with it. NFS
18 even used Kerberos for authentication.