From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: WAS [.. min install isos] gentoo vm guest not booting
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 18:36:53
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 7:19 AM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 > <SNIP>
5 >>
6 >> The boot process does get a little farther but comes to a halt at
7 >>
8 >>  Switching to clock source tsc
9 >>
10 >> And there it has sat for some time now.  Apparently is not going to continue.
11 >
12 > That EXACT symptom was EXACTLY what we saw on new hardware when we
13 > didn't have the /dev/null, /dev/console issue because they were
14 > missing from the recent tarballs. I actually had some photos that
15 > showed it but cannot find them. Probably deleted at this point. Here's
16 > a;link to the LKML thread and eventually Paul Hartman's pointer to
17 > what fixed it:
18 >
19 > https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/6/16/918
20 >
21 > Please consider reviewing the links I sent earlier about the 10 or so
22 > steps required to get them into the VM correctly.
23 >
24 > To verify, boot the VM with the install CD, mount the partitions and
25 > just
26
27 look at /dev. Is everything REALLY there?
28 >
29 > If /dev/null and /dev/console are there, and are special dev files and
30 > not just regular files, then make sure you are starting udev
31 > explicitly in rc-update.
32
33 [...]
34
35 First, thanks for going well beyond the call of duty and showing the
36 patience of Job.
37
38 Those files are there already and have been all along.
39
40 But anyway I rm'ed them and followed the steps resulting in:
41
42 (From chrooted shell)
43
44 root@sysresccd /dev % ls -l console null
45 crw-rw---- 1 root root 5, 1 Jun 26 17:33 console
46 crw-rw---- 1 root root 1, 3 Jun 26 17:33 null
47
48 rc-update |grep udev
49 udev | sysinit
50 udev-postmount | default
51
52 ------- --------- ---=--- --------- --------
53
54 You may not have noticed that 2.6.38-r3 where your config came from is
55 no longer available in portage... I used -r4 first time but now
56 redoing it all I'm using your config but on 2.6.39-r1. Since I can't
57 get the exact one you used I may as well get the latest.
58
59 So to summarize... I've used a version I bastardized, of your config, on
60 a different kernel version... maybe not the smartest way to go...
61
62 I've recreated /dev/console and /dev/null using the steps you quoted.
63
64 I notice on a reboot of the install media and chrooting into gentoo,
65 that /dev/console now has 600 permissions even though I gave it 660.
66 And /dev/null now has 666 although I gave it 660.
67
68 cd /dev
69
70 ls -l console null
71 crw------- 1 root root 5, 1 Jun 26 13:02 console
72 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 3 Jun 26 13:02 null
73
74 Not sure if that is normal...but I think it is, anyway building the
75 kernel now and we'll soon see how it works.
76
77 ........
78
79 OK, well nothing better happens on this go around.
80
81 Boot still hangs up at `Switching to clocklsource tsc
82
83 What is so aggravating is that building a guest from debian works
84 first try.. no problems. I guess I'll have to relearn apt-get and
85 other debian tricks if I want to get going on the reason I'm building
86 a linux guest. I run gentoo on my main desktop but there, installs are
87 usually trouble free.
88
89 Seems like it should be just as easy with a vbox guest too since the
90 hardware is kept pretty simple, but it never has been any
91 time I've tried it, which has been quite a few over the years.
92
93 I keep hoping it will work and try again some mnths later ... but it
94 never has yet.
95
96 If I want to get a tarsnap server in place (The reason I'm building a
97 guest) anytime soon I will have to drop gentoo as guest I'm afraid.
98
99 I may fool with it a bit more... but it's pretty discouraging.