From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: WAS [.. min install isos] gentoo vm guest not booting
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 15:04:33
1 On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 7:19 AM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > The boot process does get a little farther but comes to a halt at
5 >
6 >  Switching to clock source tsc
7 >
8 > And there it has sat for some time now.  Apparently is not going to continue.
9
10 That EXACT symptom was EXACTLY what we saw on new hardware when we
11 didn't have the /dev/null, /dev/console issue because they were
12 missing from the recent tarballs. I actually had some photos that
13 showed it but cannot find them. Probably deleted at this point. Here's
14 a;link to the LKML thread and eventually Paul Hartman's pointer to
15 what fixed it:
16
17 https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/6/16/918
18
19 Please consider reviewing the links I sent earlier about the 10 or so
20 steps required to get them into the VM correctly.
21
22 To verify, boot the VM with the install CD, mount the partitions and
23 just look at /dev. Is everything REALLY there?
24
25 If /dev/null and /dev/console are there, and are special dev files and
26 not just regular files, then make sure you are starting udev
27 explicitly in rc-update.
28
29 I am copying the post so you can go through them without worrying that
30 you didn't find the post I'm talking about.
31
32 HTH,
33 Mark
34
35 [QUOTE]
36
37 I have the exact same problem as described in post #3.
38
39 As this is not my first gentoo install, I also noticed that the
40 English manual does not yet reflect the baselayout2/OpenRC changes.
41
42 /dev isn't populated so booting with grub "init=/sbin/init 3" doesn't
43 do anything. Well, except for printing out the following.
44 Code:
45
46 /dev/initctl: No such file or directory
49 Here is how to fix the problem described in post #3:
50 (The problem being missing device nodes in /dev before /dev is mounted)
51
52 Boot from a LiveCD and chroot into your system.
53 Create the needed device nodes with the following commands.
54 Code:
55
56 cd ~
57 mkdir test
58 mount --bind / test
59 cd test/dev
60 mknod -m 660 console c 5 1
61 mknod -m 660 null c 1 3
62 cd ../..
63 umount test
64 rmdir test
65
66 (taken from http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml)
67
68 OpenRC does not start udev by default at system startup. Make sure it
69 is started at boot:
70 Code:
71
72 rc-update add udev sysinit