From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Frame-buffer modes on an eee-pc
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 15:19:56
1 On Tuesday 22 September 2009 18:33:30 Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2
3 > As an owner (701 and 900), I researched a lot, and found this:
4 >
5 > http://code.toofishes.net/cgit/dan/eee.git/tree/kernel-eee/kernelconfig
6
7 An interesting link - thanks. His hardware differs from mine and it's not
8 easy to pick out the differences I want from those I don't; I think I've
9 got most of the right things though.
10
11 > Its an Arch developer that makes a binary package (an eee specific
12 > kernel), but he publishes all info using git (including the kernel
13 > config file). You can use that to compile your own kernel and it will
14 > give you a perfectly working framebuffer at native resolution (800x480
15 > in 701, and 1024x600 in 900).
16
17 I do now have a 127x37 text console, which looks like the one I described
18 but is activated earlier. It'll do nicely. I assume it's 1024x600.
19
20 Two problems remain (until I solve those and expose the next layer!):
21
22 1. On starting X I find that the keyboard and mouse are not connected. I can
23 ssh in and reboot the machine, so it's still alive - just not responsive to
24 me at the keyboard. I've tried an xorg.conf from X -configure, and I've
25 tried without. More investigation to do here.
26
27 2. The wireless network. This uses an Atheros chip, device 168c:002b, not
28 quite the same as the chips described on gentoo-wiki. Has anyone here got
29 this system working? Do I need madwifi, for instance? The old laptop this
30 netbook will replace has a madwifi installation that I could plagiarise.
33 Rgds
34 Peter