From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Switching from grub to grub2 - WAS Re: [gentoo-user] fdisk warnings during install; questions
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 16:52:55
1 On Sat, 11 May 2013 12:39:41 +0100, Stroller wrote:
2
3 > >> So, how was the switch? Uneventful? The more I read, and once I
4 > >> learned you could still use a monolithic config file, the less this
5 > >> looks like a big deal...
6 > >
7 > > STILL use a monolithic config file? GRUB2 has to use a monolithic
8 > > config file, usually /boot/grub2/grub.cfg. grub-mkconfig is not a
9 > > bootloader, just an easy way of managing that monolithic
10 > > configuration file.
11 >
12 > You seem to have take it as a criticism, but I read previous message as
13 > approving of monolithic config files.
14 >
15 > "grub2 looks ok, because it still uses a monolithic config file"
16
17 I read it different because of the use of the word "could". It is not an
18 option with GRUB2, it is a requirement. The format and name of the file
19 have changed, but it is still a single file. The only optional aspect is
20 how you create that file. With the old GRUB you have to write it by hand,
21 now you have a second option.
22
23 There seems a perception that you have to use the files in /etc/grub.d
24 and /etc/default, but this a absolutely not the case, and never has been.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 If you got the words it does not mean you got the knowledge.