From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Use of sed
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 14:44:32
1 Peter Humphrey writes:
2
3 > On Wednesday 24 June 2009 12:28:05 Alex Schuster wrote:
4 > > man sed answers your second question :)
5 >
6 > s/regexp/replacement/
7 > Attempt to match regexp against the pattern space. If successful,
8 > replace that portion matched with replacement. The replacement may
9 > contain the special character & to refer to that portion of the
10 > pattern space which matched, and the special escapes \1 through \9 to
11 > refer to the corresponding matching sub-expressions in the regexp.
12 >
13 > No mention of using a different separator, and I couldn't find any other
14 > reference either. I did look before asking.
15
16 Oh, sorry. I thought the german man pages were just translations of the
17 original man pages, but at least the one for sed is entirely different. It
18 also mentions the flags like g to replace globally, not only the first
19 instance.
20
21 Here is the OpenBSD man page for sed, it has more information. However, this
22 sed is a little different from our GNU sed. For example, it does not have
23 the -i option.
24
25 http://www.rocketaware.com/man/man1/sed.1.htm
26