From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 3
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 15:24:34
1 On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 05:22:09PM +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote
2
3 > (Come to think of it, has *any* distro ever attempted this...
4 > 'unconventional of going udev-free?)
5
6 Alpine linux has done it http://alpinelinux.org/ Unfortunately,
7 they're so minimalistic and server-oriented that they use uclibc instead
8 of glibc. So Alpine is not viable as a desktop distro. Think of it as
9
10 Gentoo with mdev instead of udev == Alpine with glibc instead of uclibc
11
12 By the way, there's a thread on the Gentoo developer list discussing
13 the situation, and the proposed move of a bunch of stuff to /usr. See
14 http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?do=post_view_flat;post=245148;page=1;mh=-1;list=gentoo;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC
15
16 I piped up with my proposal. We'll see what happens.
19 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>