From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fdisk warnings during install; questions
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 10:55:42
1 On 10/05/2013 12:00, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 10 May 2013 11:44:54 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> Reading between the lines shows Walter doesn't want to use fdisk to deal
5 >> with a GPT disk.
6 >>
7 >> He has a regular partitioned disk that was once GPT, and some remnants
8 >> of that are left around confusing fdisk. He wants the remnants to go
9 >> away and needs to know what bit of the disk to dd and make that happen.
10 >>
11 >> I don't know the answer to that.
12 >
13 > That's not quite how I read it, but... gdisk has an option to completely
14 > erase both GPT and DOS partition tables. Why anyone would choose to use
15 > the ultra-kludged DOS partition tables when GPT is so much more elegant is
16 > beyond me, unless they have old hardware that can't read a GPT disk.
17
18 The usual reasons I suppose:
19
20 habit, familiarity, lack of new knowledge, fear of the unknown
21
22 I myself still use fdisk whenever I can. I know I should change, I know
23 it would be good, but I'm an old fart and mostly can't be arsed :-)
27 Alan McKinnon
28 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com