From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fdisk warnings during install; questions
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 11:09:45
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 10/05/2013 12:00, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Fri, 10 May 2013 11:44:54 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Reading between the lines shows Walter doesn't want to use fdisk to deal
6 >>> with a GPT disk.
7 >>>
8 >>> He has a regular partitioned disk that was once GPT, and some remnants
9 >>> of that are left around confusing fdisk. He wants the remnants to go
10 >>> away and needs to know what bit of the disk to dd and make that happen.
11 >>>
12 >>> I don't know the answer to that.
13 >> That's not quite how I read it, but... gdisk has an option to completely
14 >> erase both GPT and DOS partition tables. Why anyone would choose to use
15 >> the ultra-kludged DOS partition tables when GPT is so much more elegant is
16 >> beyond me, unless they have old hardware that can't read a GPT disk.
17 > The usual reasons I suppose:
18 >
19 > habit, familiarity, lack of new knowledge, fear of the unknown
20 >
21 > I myself still use fdisk whenever I can. I know I should change, I know
22 > it would be good, but I'm an old fart and mostly can't be arsed :-)
27 I'm with ya Alan. Update tho. I use LVM. I use grub2 since a week or
28 so ago. That's a lot for me.
29
30 Dale
31
35 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!