From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: /var/tmp on tmpfs
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 19:05:21
1 On 08/02/18 20:13, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >> If you're not using ccache, then you don't need /var/tmp to be on tmpfs. You
3 >> should only put /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs.
4 >
5 > I disagree on this. Unless you have something that uses gobs of space
6 > on /var/tmp there is little reason not to make the whole thing a
7 > tmpfs.
8
9 True. But I only said that's it's not needed. You can do it regardless.
12 >> If you do use ccache, then you need to mount both /var/tmp and
13 >> /var/tmp/portage as tmpfs.
14 >
15 > I DEFINITELY disagree on this one. What is the point of using ccache
16 > and then storing it on tmpfs, unless it is just for dealing with
17 > short-term build failures?
18
19 But above you said you should be putting /var/tmp on tmpfs :-P
20
21 Anyway, I was wrong about needing to put /var/tmp on tmpfs when using
22 ccache. The correct thing to say is that *if* you put /var/tmp on tmpfs
23 *and* are using ccache, then you need to make sure it's large enough to
24 accommodate /var/tmp/portage as well as ccache's files.