From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: /var/tmp on tmpfs
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 19:42:37
1 On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 2:05 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 08/02/18 20:13, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >>>
4 >>> If you're not using ccache, then you don't need /var/tmp to be on tmpfs.
5 >>> You
6 >>> should only put /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs.
9 >> I disagree on this. Unless you have something that uses gobs of space
10 >> on /var/tmp there is little reason not to make the whole thing a
11 >> tmpfs.
14 > True. But I only said that's it's not needed. You can do it regardless.
17 We're on the same page here.
20 >>> If you do use ccache, then you need to mount both /var/tmp and
21 >>> /var/tmp/portage as tmpfs.
24 >> I DEFINITELY disagree on this one. What is the point of using ccache
25 >> and then storing it on tmpfs, unless it is just for dealing with
26 >> short-term build failures?
27 >
28 > But above you said you should be putting /var/tmp on tmpfs :-P
29
30 I would also avoid putting ccache in /var/tmp for this reason. I
31 suppose it is disposable but I'd think you'd want a different
32 retention policy than most stuff in /var/tmp.
33
34 In any case, ccache is only useful to the extent that you actually
35 re-use it, so purging it every time you reboot is usually
36 counterproductive, though it could be situational.
40 Rich