From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How's the openrc update going for everyone?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 07:13:19
1 On Wednesday 11 May 2011 07:27:32 Dale wrote:
2 > Alan Mackenzie wrote:
3 > > Hi, Dale.
4 > >
5 > > On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 04:55:01PM -0500, Dale wrote:
6 > >> Hi folks,
7 > >>
8 > >>
9 > >> I was curious, what's the results of the openrc update for people that
10 > >> have done theirs? Is it pretty simple and "just works" or are there
11 > >> issues? I'm mostly interested in x86 and amd64 since that is what I
12 > >> have. Just a simple works here and I'm X86 or amd64 would be nice.
13 > >> List issues if you had any.
14 > >
15 > > For me, it just worked. But it took me well over two hours, and that
16 > > was
17 > > after spending several hours studying the FM (practically memorising it,
18 > > actually). Things which threaten to make my PC unbootable have that
19 > > effect on me.
20 > >
21 > > I was surprised by the number of config files which had changed (though
22 > > I was surprised not to see inittab amongst them). I had a few problems
23 > > with consolefont and keymaps, but that probably had to do with my
24 > > converting from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 the day before.
25 > >
26 > > I take my hat off to Christian Faulhammer and William Hubbs, true
27 > > gentlemen, who took so much trouble to make a difficult transition so
28 > > smooth and easy.
29 > >
30 > >> Thanks for the feedback.
31 > >>
32 > >>
33 > >> Dale
34 > >>
35 > >> :-) :-)
36 >
37 > After reading some replies here, I did mine. It went well. I agree,
38 > hats off to the folks who worked on this. Seems like their work paid
39 > off very well. I just hope everyone else's is as easy as mine.
40 >
41 > There was a LOT of config files to update. It appears that a LOT of it
42 > was done during the update tho.
43 >
44 > I'm just glad this is done. Sort of been dreading this.
45 >
46 > Dale
47 >
49
50 I actually did mine before noticing this thread and didn't actually pay much
51 attention to it all.
52
53 Not had any issues and didn't need to spend much time in fixing anything. The
54 only problem I had was that "/etc/init.d/eth0" had dissapeared.
55 That was easily fixed.
58 Joost