From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel upgrade problem
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 21:27:45
1 Am Dienstag, 4. November 2008 20:51:10 schrieb David Relson:
2
3 > Due to problems experienced with 2.6.25-gentoo-r7, I've built
4 > 2.6.27-gentoo-r2. I started with the 2.6.25-r7 .config file, ran
5 > "make oldconfig", then "genkernel all".
6
7 Don't know if that helps, but anyway, here's what I usually do:
8
9 I only use kernel.org kernels (vanilla-sources in Gentoo). They're the same no
10 matter the distro.
11
12 I have a copy of my kernel config (in /etc/kernel/config). If you configured
13 your kernel appropriately, you can also find the config of the running kernel
14 in /proc/config(.gz). Upon a major kernel upgrade, I run make menuconfig, load
15 my old config file and check all the important options, eventually switching
16 on/off new options which I find useful.
17
18 I never ever ran make oldconfig. I also never ran genkernel. Why should I?
19 After leaving menuconfig it's just make, make modules_install, make install
20 (or copy the appropriate kernel file to /boot manually).
21
22 Then I run a self-written script which updates some symlinks in /boot (so that
23 I don't need to edit grub.conf) and cleans /lib/modules, leaving only the
24 currently running kernel and the new one arround, together with their modules.
25
26 I didn't have a kernel related boot problem since a very long time now. But
27 even if I had, I still have the old one.
28
29 > The new 2.6.27 kernel appears
30 > to load modules OK, then hangs. The old 2.6.25-r7 kernel displays
31 > "Activating mdev" after it finishes loading modules.
32
33 Don't know what mdev is (or is this a typo: udev), so I can't help with this.
34
35 > Any suggestions of what to check for or change?
36
37 Try to diff both kernel configs. Look wether there's something missing in the
38 new one that was there in the old. Maybe try again with the method described
39 above.
40
41 BTW: I'm running 2.6.27.4 w/o any problem.
42
43 Bye...
44
45 Dirk