From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel upgrade problem
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 22:56:15
1 Hello Dirk,
2
3 Thanks for taking the time to reply. The combination of gentoo-sources
4 and genkernel has been working quite well for the 2 yrs I've been
5 running Gentoo. It's convenient to have grub.conf auto-magically
6 updated and that's not been an issue.
7
8 When upgrading from one kernel revision to another, oldconfig is nice
9 because it makes the new kernel options obvious. Using menuconfig
10 hides that information. Of course, as you point out, diff can be used
11 after either tool to see exactly what has been changed.
12
13 The messages I mentioned, i.e. "Loading modules" and "Activating mdev"
14 appear during the boot process before /etc/init.d scripts are run (and,
15 yes, it's "mdev", not "udev"). However, I don't know which program is
16 running and printing these messages.
17
18 'Tis good to hear that 2.6.27.4 is working for you. However my hardware
19 (AMD64x2, IDE drive, etc) and kernel options are, I wager, different
20 than yours and _something_ in 2.6.27 is unhappy. The question of the
21 day is "What?".
22
23 Regards,
24