From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel upgrade problem
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 17:38:36
1 On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 8:56 PM, David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello Dirk,
3 >
4 > Thanks for taking the time to reply. The combination of gentoo-sources
5 > and genkernel has been working quite well for the 2 yrs I've been
6 > running Gentoo. It's convenient to have grub.conf auto-magically
7 > updated and that's not been an issue.
8 You don't need to edit grub.conf at all.
9 "make install" automatically updates the symlinks in /boot/
10 For me, the kernel update process is:
11 emerge -a1v sys-kernel/vanilla-sources
12 cd /usr/src/linux
13 // I usually issue make defconfig to start with a fresh config. But if
14 you skip make defconfig, the following command will start with your
15 old config from /boot/config
16 make menuconfig
17 make
18 make install modules_install
19 //The above command automatically copies the kernel image, System.map
20 and .config to /boot and updates the /boot/vmlinuz, /boot/vmlinuz.old,
21 /boot/config, /boot/config.old, /boot/System.map, /boot/System.map.old
22 symlinks. It also copies the modules to /lib/modules
23 //No need for genkernel, no need to edit grub.conf
24 *reboot
25 *delete obsolete modules in /lib/modules, and obsolete files in /boot
26 *By the way, before i delete obsolete config file in /boot, i back it
27 up in a oldconfigs.tar.lzma compressed archive.