From: dhkuhl@×××××××××.net
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WPA Supplicant
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 13:26:27
1 ----- Original Message -----
2 From: Mick
3 Date: Sunday, April 24, 2011 9:14 am
4 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WPA Supplicant
5 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6
7 > On Sunday 24 April 2011 13:37:03 dhkuhl@×××××××××.net wrote:
8 > > I'm trying to get wireless working reliably on my laptop. I
9 > have followed
10 > > the documentation, but still have a lot of questions . . .
11 > especially> since it only seems to work sometimes.
12 > >
13 > > First, I'm using WPA Supplicant without the gui tools.
14 >
15 > run wpa_gui from a terminal and a lot of what you're asking
16 > below will become
17 > self-explanatory.
20 > > Second, I'm in NYC and there are a lot of networks I can use
21 > around town.
22 > >
23 > > Third, Is there a way I can control the services I use from
24 > the Grub menu?
25 > > Since the laptop has a wireless card and an RJ45 jack, I'd
26 > like to be able
27 > > boot and not use one or the other. Since I know if I'm not
28 > physically> connected to a network, there's really no reason to
29 > even try eth0.
30 >
31 > Check /etc/conf.d/rc and in particular:
32 >
33 > # RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING allows some flexibility with the 'net'
34 > service.# The following values are allowed:
35 > # none - The 'net' service is always considered up.
36 > # no - This basically means that at least one net.* service
37 > besides net.lo
38 > # must be up. This can be used by notebook users that
39 > have a wifi
40 > and
41 > # a static nic, and only wants one up at any given time
42 > to have the
43 > # 'net' service seen as up.
44 > # lo - This is the same as the 'no' option, but net.lo is
45 > also counted.
46 > # This should be useful to people that do not care
47 > about any specific
48 > # interface being up at boot.
49 > # yes - For this ALL network interfaces MUST be up for the
50 > 'net' service to
51 > # be considered up.
52 >
53 > RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING="no"
54 >
55 > (or you can use "lo")
58 > > Forth, The problem. I'm not sure how wpa_supplicant works or
59 > how it should
60 > > work. The wpa_supplicant man page gives a few examples on how
61 > to run it,
62 > > but when I look at the process list it seems to be run by
63 > another program
64 > > called wpa_cli. There's also a shell script in
65 > /etc/wpa/supplicant that
66 > > looks like it can start or stop it with CONNECT or DISCONNECT.
67 > 1) Do I
68 > > need to enter networks in wpa_supplicant.conf or does
69 > wpa_supplicant scan
70 > > for networks and connect to whatever's available?
71 >
72 > The latter.
73 >
74 > You can however enter manually in
75 > /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
76 > particular parameters (keys and what not) of known networks to
77 > which you
78 > connect as a matter of preference.
81 > > 2) If I have multiple
82 > > networks available how does wpa_supplicant choose which to
83 > connect to and
84 > > can I specify which one I want?
85 >
86 > It'll connect to:
87 >
88 > a) Any network you have specified in your
89 > /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf according to the
90 > preference you have
91 > set up therein.
92 >
93 > b) Any network it finds.
94 >
95 > c) Any network you select with wpa_cli, or select/enable/disable
96 > in wpa_gui.
99 > > 3) How should wpa_supplicant be started,
100 > > stopped and restarted? What should be used for this:
101 > wpa_supplicant,> wpa_cli, or wpa_cli.sh? I don't see anything
102 > in /etc/init.d for that, but
103 > > it looks like netmount may be doing it.
104 >
105 > You need to define it in /etc/conf.d/net:
106 >
107 > modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )
108 > wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dwext"
109 >
110 > (adjust this according to the name of your wireless iface and driver).
113 > > 4) The documentation doesn't say
114 > > to, but the way I got wireless working is by creating a link
115 > net.wlan0 ->
116 > > net.lo in the /etc/init.d directory. Is this correct?
117 >
118 > It depends which documentation you are looking at. I am sure
119 > that this is
120 > explained in the gentoo Handbook and associated documentation.
121 >
122 > This is the link you need:
123 >
124 > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 Dec 16 14:26 net.wlan0 -> net.lo
125 >
126 > but you should have also configured /etc/conf.d/net with your
127 > desired settings
128 > or just defaults will run.
131 > > I think that's why
132 > > it's starting automatically when I boot too, because I never
133 > added it with
134 > > rc-update so netmount must be picking it up.
137 > > 5) This is the most puzzling
138 > > thing. When wpa_supplicant starts even though I get a inet
139 > address I
140 > > can't always get to the internet. Why does the panel applet
141 > says I'm
142 > > connected and ifconfig shows an inet address but firefox and
143 > ping can't
144 > > reach a site like yahoo or google?
145 >
146 > This could well be a dns server/repeater issue.
147 >
148 > If you can ping the IP address of google, but not the domain
149 > name of it, then
150 > the problem is that you do not have access to a DNS repeater.
151 > Look in your
152 > /etc/resolve.conf to see if there is a line saying:
153 >
154 > nameserver XXX.XXX.XX.XX
155 >
156 > if it is absent then you have not connected to a namesever.
157 > This is a router
158 > issue and it could be controlled by some authentication scheme.
159 > A lot of
160 > wireless services offered by coffee shops, libraries, etc. may
161 > give you an IP
162 > address automatically, but then require you use your browser to
163 > register with
164 > their authentication server (using a passwd that they provide
165 > after you pay
166 > them for the privilege).
167 >
168 > Open access points with no encryption and no DNS authentication
169 > requirements
170 > should allow you to connect seamlessly to the Internet.
173 > > 6) For networks where I have a
174 > > password, should that go in wpa_supplicant.conf as plain text
175 > or should it
176 > > be encrypted?
177 >
178 > This can be a confusing endeavour because some routers will only
179 > accept
180 > certain characters in a passphrase, so you could be failing to
181 > connect due to
182 > the peculiarities of the router. The passphrase should be
183 > entered as provided
184 > by the router owner, then a hex key generated with
185 > wpa_passphrase (look at man
186 > wpa_passphrase). Then enter the hex key in your
187 > wpa_supplicant.conf, or your
188 > wpa_gui.
189 >
190 > HTH for now, ask more as you need it.
191 > --
192 > Regards,
193 > Mick
196 I'll give this stuff a try. I'm sure I'll be back. Thanks.