From: pepone pepone <pepone.onrez@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux design software recommendations
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 23:27:33
1 Hi Chris
2
3 A good program for make the 3d models is blender htpp://blender3d.org
4
5 On 3/26/06, Chris Frederick <cdf123@××××××.net> wrote:
6 >
7 > Hi all,
8 >
9 > I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations for design
10 > software for Linux.
11 >
12 > I've been doing a lot of remodeling in my spare time and I'm getting a
13 > pretty good wood shop setup in the garage. I'm getting done with some
14 > of the remodeling projects and I'm going to be starting on some
15 > furniture soon. I'd like to have some software that I can do the
16 > pre-planning in.
17 >
18 > Currently I use xfig, and this works great. But, it's missing
19 > something. I like it because I can do a rough draft of a design, or I
20 > can layout cut patterns in the stock material so I can see how much
21 > plywood I need to buy.
22 >
23 > But what I'd like to do is both, and probably in 3D. What I'd like to
24 > do is design a book shelf or something, and then take it apart and lay
25 > it out flat into various 4x8 foot sheets, and possibly make a few
26 > changes and put it back together again and see what the changes I've
27 > made have done to the project.
28 >
29 > Like I said, xfig is great, but it's only a 2D editor, and I really
30 > think a 3D system is what I need. With that said, I'm doing all this in
31 > my spare time (I'm a programmer full time) and I don't want something
32 > that is too difficult. I think I only use about half or less of what
33 > xfig can do in 2D. I don't think I need to learn a full fledged 3D CAD
34 > system to build a book shelf or and end table or something. I need
35 > something simple and easy. Build shapes, change dimensions, rotate,
36 > scale, zoom, etc...
37 >
38 > Of course it needs to run on Linux, and as being a gentoo user, having
39 > it in portage is a plus. Since this is only a hobby, I'd like it to be
40 > free. A "GPL-ish" license isn't necessary, but it would be cool (I'm a
41 > programmer after all).
42 >
43 > Does anyone have any recommendations for something similar to what I'm
44 > describing, or had success with other software that can do some of what
45 > I want?
46 >
47 > Thanks all,
48 >